Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Myanmar seeks a Consultant Climate Migration in Vietnam
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Myanmar seeks a Consultant to support the development of an innovative study on climate migration in Vietnam. This type of migration is gaining increasing importance given that Vietnam is among the countries most affected by global climate change. This will be the first phase of a multi-year impact evaluation working closely with IPA Myanmar and researchers from Yale University, London School of Economics, Stanford University, University of Sydney, and the Harvard Kennedy School. The Consultant will closely work together with the research team to identify relevant policy questions and development of an intervention.
Reports to: Country Director IPA Myanmar
Length of contract: 6 months
- Lead meetings with key stakeholders in the environmental and migration sector. These meetings will involve, for example, senior representatives at research institutions, the government, and companies working in the
- Work closely with sector partners to design and implement additional data collection to inform the development of the
- Run background research and map data sources. This work may also benefit from analysis of secondary data using geographic information systems (GIS).
- Prepare the research team during visits in Vietnam, including setting up meetings with relevant stakeholders and
- Field travel will focus on the Mekong delta (exact locations are yet to be specifically defined).
- Prepare report(s) on field activities and research findings, maintaining effective communications with all stakeholders. This includes maintaining effective professional communications with research organization, organizations, and the
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to environmental or social Master’s in
development economics, migration, hydrology, agriculture or soil science is a plus.
- At least three years of relevant experience designing, implementing, or managing applied research
- At least one year of working experience in
- Deep understanding of migration or social development projects
- Demonstrated ability to take significant initiative and carry out thorough, focused exploratory research to build the qualitative basis for an effective and relevant impact
- Fluent in English and
- Working with government
- Applying mixed methods in economic
- Facility with quantitative data analysis, including the use of geographic information systems (GIS).
- Good understanding of randomized control
We are looking for someone that is proactive and able to work independently. The ideal candidate will communicate ideas in a clear and concise manner and be able to adapt messages to different interlocutors. The position will be based in Vietnam and require in- country travel.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Send short cover letter (max 1 page) and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Write “Consultant Climate Migration” in the email subject line.
About Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), is an international non-profit research organization that discovers and promotes effective and innovative solutions to global poverty problems to support evidence-based decision making. IPA brings together international and local development partners and leading academic researchers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions to learn how they impact people’s lives. This evidence informs the decision-making of governments, bilateral and multilateral organizations, as well as non- governmental development organizations to fund and implement better and more effective solutions.
IPA has conducted more than 830 evaluations of agriculture, education, financial inclusion, health, and peace & recovery programs in 51 countries, building a network of more than 500 affiliate professors from the world’s top universities.
More about IPA: https://www.poverty-action.org/