PhD student positions in Economics – Jönköping International Business School
Jönköping International Business School (JIBS) is recognized as the most international business school in Sweden and one of the most international in the world—teaching at all levels is done in English, the working language is English, and our faculty and students originate from all over the world- Read more about us here. We offer a unique international and team-oriented workplace with competitive education programs at the Bachelor, Master and Doctoral levels.
As a PhD student you will be enrolled in a highly qualified education within a thriving research environment- Read more. You will also get many opportunities for enhancing your teaching skills and for personal development. Economics is one of the largest disciplines at JIBS, which is recognized by international accreditors for excellence in research and teaching and for its strong international profile. We do research in many different fields within economics. Examples of current research strengths include (i) entrepreneurship, (ii) urban and regional economics, (iii) public policy, and (iv) international economics.
Jönköping International Business School (JIBS)
In 2015, JIBS was the first business school in Sweden to receive double accreditation from both AACSB and EQUIS. In March 2018, JIBS was awarded a 5-year EQUIS accreditation. Recent assessments of research productivity and impact rank JIBS first in Sweden in business administration and economics and first in Europe and second in the world in entrepreneurship. JIBS’ guiding principles are international at heart, entrepreneurial in mind and responsible in action, and our mission is to advance the theory and practice of business, with specific focus on entrepreneurship, ownership, and renewal.
At JIBS, we have the following research centres: Centre for Entrepreneurship and Spatial Economics (CEnSE), Centre for Family Enterprise and Ownership (CeFEO), and the Media, Management and Transformation Centre (MMTC). As a PhD student you have the option to be affiliated with one or more of these centres.
JIBS lies in the city center of Jönköping. The city is beautifully situated along the southern shore of lake Vättern. With its international university and 140,000 inhabitants, Jönköping is full of life all year round. Jönköping is a city where you will find a great variety of restaurants and cafés. For nature lovers and botanists, the region is a paradise with nature reserves, hiking trails, lovely views and one of Sweden’s largest oak forests.
As a PhD student, we offer a fully financed (including salary) full-time positions. Most of your time will be devoted to your doctoral studies (80%) which includes coursework and writing a doctoral thesis. The coursework includes both mandatory courses and elective courses, depending on the topic of your thesis. The remaining time (20%) is allocated for teaching, where you will be part of a teaching team, and administrative tasks. There are also opportunities to take additional courses in pedagogics for higher education.
In order to be admitted to the PhD education you must have:
- been awarded a degree at second-cycle level (master),
- achieved at least the equivalent of 240 ECTS credits, of which a minimum of 60 ECTS credits must have been achieved at the second-cycle level,
- acquired at least 90 ECTS credits in Economics,
- acquired at least 15 ECTS credits in Statistics,
The main language of research and teaching at JIBS is English. You must be fluent in both written and spoken English to be eligible for our doctoral program.
We seek candidates who have a strong drive to conduct high-quality academic scholarship within one of the focus areas of JIBS: entrepreneurship, ownership, and renewal. The candidate shall have a motivation to use that scholarship to provide proposals of practical relevance, and an ambition to pursue an international research career. It is meritorious if you have previous experience or a strong research interest in the research areas of CEnSE (Entrepreneurship; Regional/spatial economics; Urban-rural individual/household and firm dynamics) Read more, MMTC ((social) Media economics; Digital platform economics; Impact of sustainability/digitalization policy) Read more, and/or Cefeo (Family business; Ownership dynamics; Family entrepreneurship)) Read more. Nevertheless, a candidate with strong research interests in any area of economics may be accepted.
As an international business school, we value experience with other languages and cultures. Other characteristics valued at JIBS are an international outlook; prior research, teaching and/or professional experience; and an ability to communicate effectively with different stakeholders in and around the university environment. A successful candidate should enjoy and be stimulated by working independently as well as working in teams.
Several positions, full time (100%), with start from September 1, 2022.
Application period is from January 1 to May 15, 2022. However, starting from February 15, the selection process takes place on a continuous basis. This implies that we have the opportunity to offer candidates a position before May 15.
For further enquiries about the doctoral program and the positions, please contact the Director of PhD Candidates Mikaela Backman, or for subject-related questions, Professor Scott Hacker.
Union representatives are Thomas Cyron (Saco-S) and Barbara Eklöf (ST). All contacts can be reached at phone number +46 36 10 10 00.
Please submit the following:
- A letter of intent (please respond to the following three questions: Why do you want to be a PhD student? Why do you want to be a PhD student at JIBS? Which center(s) (if any) do you see potential links to and why?)).
- A preliminary research proposal (max. 3000 words), expressing your present research interest.
- Your CV.
- Attested documents on relevant background (academic transcripts, degree diplomas, evidence of prior teaching and/or industry experience).
- A copy of your Master Thesis (if not available at the time of application, send instead a copy of your bachelor thesis or another academic report written in English) and other publications.
- Contact information (name, phone numbers and email) of at least two references.
Please ensure that all documentation is in English.
The following criteria constitute the basis of assessment applied in the selection:
- Meeting the formal qualification requirements for admission into the PhD program for the doctoral studies;
- The applicant’s documented knowledge within economics;
- The applicant’s personal profile and motivation for further studies.
- In a continuous process, suitable candidates (based on the candidates’ applications and the assessment criteria noted above) will be called for interview(s).
- A decision will be made and communicated during June/July, 2022, or earlier.
|Type of employment
|Temporary position longer than 6 months
|First day of employment
|September 1, 2022
|Number of positions
|Last application date
|15.May.2022 11:59 PM CEST