Applied Econometrics, Impact Evaluation, Survey Design, Behavioural Economics, Microeconometrics, (International) Economics/Development, Gender
- “Does health insurance coverage or improved quality protect better against out-ofpocket payments? Experimental evidence from the Philippines” with S. Quimbo, R. Shimkhada & J. Peabody, 2018. Social Science & Medicine, 204: 51-58. DOI: 10.10 16/j.socscimed.2018.03.024
- “How much should we trust micro-data? A comparison of the socio-demographic profile of Malawian households using Census, LSMS and DHS data” with L. Tasciotti, 2018. European Journal of Development Research, 30(4): 588-612. DOI: 10.1057/s41
- “Urban agriculture, dietary diversity and child health in a sample of Tanzanian townfolk” with L. Tasciotti, 2018. Canadian Journal of Development Studies, 39(2): 234-251. DOI: 10.1080/02255189.2017.1375902.
- “Gender and policing norms: Evidence from survey experiments among police officers in Uganda” with M. Rieger, A. Bedi & W. Hout, 2017. ISS Working Paper No. 615. Journal of African Economies, 26(4): 492-515. DOI: 10.1093/jae/ejx014.
- “Universal health coverage at the macro level: Synthetic control evidence from Thailand” with A. Bedi & M. Rieger, 2017. ISS Working Paper No. 609. Social Science & Medicine, 172C: 46-55. DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.11.022.
- “Bride price and fertility decisions: Evidence from rural Senegal” with L. Mbaye, 2017. IZA Working Paper No. 7770. Journal of Development Studies, 53(6): 891-910. DOI: 10.1080/00220388.2016.1208178.
- “Misfortunes never come singly: Structural change, multiple shocks and child malnutrition in rural Senegal” with S. Lazzaroni, 2016. Economics & Human Biology, 23: 246-262. DOI: 10.1016/j.ehb.2016.10.006.
- “Protocol for a randomized controlled trial evaluating mobile text messaging to promote retention and adherence to antiretroviral therapy for people living with HIV in Burkina Faso” with D. Ouedraogo, L. Artavia, A. Bedi & B. A. Thiombiano,
2016. Journal of Medical Internet Research: Research Protocols, 5(3): e170. DOI: 10.2196/resprot.5823.
- “Gender, ethnicity and teaching evaluations: Evidence from mixed teaching teams” with M. Rieger & K. Voorvelt, 2016. ISS Working Paper No. 617. Economics of Education Review, 54: 79-94. DOI: 10.1016/j.econedurev.2016.06.004.
- “Polygyny and child health revisited” (Letter) with M. Rieger, 2016. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 113(13): E1769-E1770. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1600882113.
- “Do health reforms to improve quality have long-term effects? Results of a follow-up on a randomized policy experiment in the Philippines” with S. Quimbo, J. Florentino, O. Solon & J. Peabody, 2016. Health Economics, 25(2): 165-77. DOI: 10.
- “Does community driven development improve inclusiveness? Evidence from Senegal” with J.-L. Arcand, 2016. World Development, 78: 105-124. DOI: 10.1016/j.worlddev. 2015.10.016.
- “Female genital cutting and long-term health consequences – Nationally representative estimates across 13 countries”, 2015. Journal of Development Studies, 51(3): 226-246. DOI: 10.1080/00220388.2014.976620. Received the 2016 Dudley Seers Best
- “Child health, its dynamic interaction with nutrition and health memory – Evidence from Senegal” with M. Rieger, 2015. Economics & Human Biology, 16: 135-145. DOI: 10.1016/j.ehb.2014.03.001.
- “Resource dependence and armed violence: Impact on sustainability in developing countries” with G. Carbonnier, 2015. Defence and Peace Economics, 26(1): 115-132. DOI: 10.1080/10242694.2013.848580.
- “Polygyny and child growth – Evidence from 26 African countries” with M. Rieger, 2015. Feminist Economics, 21(2): 105-130. DOI: 10.1080/13545701.2014.927953.
- “Urban agriculture and dietary diversity – Empirical evidence from Tanzania” with L. Tasciotti, 2015. European Journal of Development Research, 27(5): 631-649. DOI: 10.1057/ejdr.2014.38.
- “HIV/AIDS sensitization and peer-mentoring: Evidence from a randomized experiment in Senegal” with J.-L. Arcand, P. A. Diallo & C. Sakho, 2014. Journal of Development Effectiveness, 6(2): 147-166. DOI: 10.1080/19439342.2014.906486.
- “Police integrity and the perceived effectiveness of policing: Evidence from a survey among Ugandan police officers” with W. Hout, 2019. Accepted for Edited Volume “Assessing the Validity of Police Integrity Scale in a Comparative Context” von S. Kutnjak Ivkovic & M. Haberfeld (Eds.). Verlag: Springer.
- “Improving the quality of policing in Uganda: Impact assessment of the police accountability and reform project” with W. Hout & R. Namara, August 2016. Resubmitted to Review of Development Economics.
- “The impact of the Ethiopian health extension program and health development army on maternal mortality: A synthetic control approach” with M. Rieger, A.Mebratie, G. Alemu & A. Bedi, October 2018. Resubmitted to Social Science & Medicine.
- “Adoption of innovations in bottled water at the bottom of the pyramid: Who adopts first?” with R. Howell, K. Mani Sinha, C. van Beers & N. Doorn, March 2018. Revise & Resubmit from Journal of Macromarketing.
- “Shedding light on the shadows of informality: A meta-analysis of formalization interventions targeted at informal firms” with A. Floridi & B. A. Demena, February 2019. Under Review with Labour Economics.
- “Adaptation and biomedical transition of people living with HIV to antiretroviral treatment” with L. Artavia, A. Bedi & B. Thiombiano, November 2018. Under Review with BMC Public Health.
- “A Systematic Review on Mobile Phone Interventions to improve Adherence and Retention to HIV treatment in Low and Middle-Income Countries” with B. A. Demena & L. Artavia, March 2019. Under Review with AIDS.
- “Exposing non-consumers to the taste and experience of bottled water: Evidence from a randomized controlled trial in two African countries” with R. Howell & K.Mani Sinha, March 2019. Submitted to Journal of Marketing.
- “When I receive the SMS, it is a sign of love: Psychosocial support for people living with HIV in Burkina Faso” with M. Geldof & B. A. Thiombiano, March 2019. Submitted to PLOS One.
- “Fertility, electricity and television: is there a link? Evidence from Pakistan, 1990-2012” series and the media?, with L. Tasciotti (SOAS) & F. Sulehria (SOAS). March 2019. SOAS Department of Economics Working Paper No. 220, London: SOAS University of
- “How stable are preferences when times are rough? Experimental evidence from HIV/ AIDS patients” with L. Artavia & M. Rieger, June 2018.
- “A study of Egyptian and Palestine trans-formal firms – a neglected representative category operating in the borderland between formality and informality” with A. Floridi & J. Cameron, April 2016. ISS Working Paper No. 619.
- “Transplantation of integrated social assistance programs: Evidence from Uganda’s Microfinance Multiplied Program” with F. A. Misha & P. Baruab, September 2018.
- “Revisiting the nature vs. nurture debate: Patterns of cognitive development of Filipino children” with S. Quimbo, A. K¨untay, X. Javiera & J. Peabody, 2015.