Job Opportunity at ICRAF Vietnam – Economist
World Agroforestry Centre – Vietnam Office
Recruiting a Research Officer
based in Ha Noi, Vietnam.
The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is one of a network of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). As a global leader in agroforestry research and development, ICRAF’s ultimate purpose is to improve human welfare by reducing poverty, increasing cash income, improving food and nutritional security, and increasing environmental resilience through improved agroforestry systems. ICRAF has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and works in 21 countries throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America.
The Research Officer will be focal point interacting with several teams of ICRAF Vietnam office in the economic area, e.g. household and production economic analysis, CBA, value chain etc. Workstation is based in Ha Noi.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Officer will interact and work closely with the team of several projects at ICRAF Viet Nam office, responsible for:
a. To conduct studies on production and consumption of agricultural products with due concerns on environment and sustainability along with analysis of the relevant policies
b. To perform cost-benefit analysis for relevant agricultural production systems, particularly agriculture on sloping land
c. To identify local production linkages and assess their relevance, adequacy, strengths and challenges etc.
d. To analyze existing value chains and develop frameworks of value chain analysis for identified agricultural products; Identify obstacles and proffer remedial actions to the development/implementation of a value chain process
e. To perform cost-benefit analysis for specific agricultural production systems, particularly those relate to agricultural production on slope land
f. To conduct studies on how market-based approaches to environmental management can help to improve local farmers income and livelihoods, as well as satisfying economic and environmental benefits at higher (than household) levels
g. To undertake studies on private sector participation in provision and consumptions of ecosystem services
h. To make policy recommendations based on the studies’ findings
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Must be a Vietnamese national
- Masters or PhD in Agricultural Economics, Environmental Economics, Natural Resources Management, or Social Science especially in Economics, Development Economics, Management with bias for SME Development
- In-depth knowledge of key agricultural commodities, production systems and value chains
- Diverse understanding of the role of private sector on establishing production systems, processing technologies, and marketing
- Sound analytical and technical competence in the subject matter
- Proven capacity working in the field with smallholders
- Not less than 5 years’ development experience in working on relevant subjects
- High level of English proficiency
- Knowledge and/or working experience on REDD+, payment for ecosystem services, and social forestry are a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in multicultural teams
- Self-directed; well organized; flexible
- Able to manage a range of activities to deadlines
- Able to generate creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations
- Willingness to undertake frequent travel
Terms of offer
- This is a Nationally Professional Fixed Term position with a competitive salary and benefits package.
- The contract is for a period of 1 (one) year, with high possibility of renewal, subject to 3 (three) month probation period,
- assessment of performance and availability of resources.
- Opportunity for professional training, research networking and dynamic working environment.
How to apply
Applications for the position must include:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements
- A detailed curriculum vitae with publication records.
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, and email address.
All correspondence should be addressed to the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) Office Hanoi, at No. 17A, Nguyen Khang street, Trung Hoa ward, Cau Giay District, Hanoi, Vietnam OR via email: ICRAF-VIETNAM@CGIAR.ORG. Applicants should indicate “Application – Research Officer” on their application letters and email submissions.
Applications will be considered until 15 April 2015. The qualified candidate is expected to be on board as soon as possible.
Please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
ICRAF believes that staff diversity promotes excellence, and strongly encourages women to apply. We invite you to learn more about ICRAF at our web site: